Place:St George in the East, Middlesex, England

Watchers
NameSt George in the East
Alt namesWapping Stepneysource: Victoria County History of Middlesex
TypeParish
Coordinates51.510028°N 0.059596°W
Located inMiddlesex, England
Also located inStepney, Middlesex, England     ( - 1729)
London, England     (1889 - 1965)
Greater London, England     (1965 - present)
source: Family History Library Catalog


Research Tips

St George in the East was historically a hamlet known as Wapping-Stepney in the parish of Stepney. It was renamed St George in the East (after its newly-built church) when it became a separate parish in its own right in 1729. In 1889 it was transferred from Middlesex to the newly-created County of London and in 1900 became part of Stepney Metropolitan Borough. Stepney Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, becoming part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.