|Type||Civil parish, Village|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||Pyder Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|St. Austell Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|St. Columb Major Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1936|
|St. Austell Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1936-2007|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
St. Wenn (Cornish: Sen Gwenna) is a village and civil parish in
Cornwall, England. The village is situated six miles (10 km) west of Bodmin and nine miles (14.5 km) east of Newquay. The parish of St. Columb Major is adjacent on the west.
Other settlements in the parish include Rosenannon, Tregonetha (Cornish: Tregenhetho), and Tregurtha Barton, once the home of Michael Tregury, Archbishop of Dublin (Roman Catholic) who died in 1471. The last heir-male of the elder branch of this family died in the reign of Henry V. The Borlase family, ancestors of William Borlase (of Cornwall), were residents of this parish.
Later William Hals, who wrote The Parochial History of Cornwall, resided here in the latter part of his life: Hals, who owned the rectorial tithes of St Wenn, died here.
St. Wenn was part of the St. Columb Major Rural District from 1894 until 1934 and located in St. Austell Rural District from 1934 until 1974.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | Pyder Hundred, Cornwall, England | St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, England | St. Austell Rural, Cornwall, England | St. Columb Major Registration District, Cornwall, England | St. Austell Registration District, Cornwall, England | St. Wenn, Cornwall, England