Place:St. Columb Minor, Cornwall, England

Watchers
NameSt. Columb Minor
TypeParish (ancient)
Coordinates50.417°N 5.05°W
Located inCornwall, England     ( - 1974)
See alsoPyder Hundred, Cornwall, Englandhundred in which it was located
St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1934
St. Austell Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district in which it was located 1934-1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

St. Columb Minor (Cornish: Colom) is a village on the north coast of Cornwall, England. The shortened term of "St. Columb" by default refers to the nearby St. Columb Major.

At one time St Columb Minor was the main settlement in the area, but it has now been encroached upon by its larger neighbour Newquay. The National School in the Square was built in 1842. It is on the site of the Parsonage and is now used as a Men's Institute.

As a civil parish St Columb Minor was absorbed into Newquay in 1974, but it continues to be an ecclesiastical parish.

During the years 1894-1934 the parish was separated into St. Columb Minor Rural and St. Columb Minor Urban. Both were within St. Columb Major Rural District.

Research Tips

  • This map from A Vision of Britain through Time shows the individual civil parishes of Cornwall in 1917.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St. Columb Minor. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.