Place:Southwood, Norfolk, England

Alt namesSudwadasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 194
Suthuidesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 194
Sutwdasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 194
Sutwdesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 194
Walessamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 194
Walsamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 194
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.585°N 1.542°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoBlofield Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Blofield Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Cantley, Norfolk, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Southwood from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SOUTHWOOD, a parish in Blofield [registration] district, Norfolk; 1 mile NNE of Cantley [railway] station, and 10 ESE of Norwich. Post town: Acle, under Norwich. Acres: 481. Real property: £1,181. Population: 39. Houses: 9. The manor belongs to H. R. Nevill, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with Limpenhoe, in the diocese of Norwich. Value: 292.* Patron: the Rev. T. H. Day. The church is good."

In 1935 Southwood parish was absorbed and the area tranferred to the neighbouring parish of Cantley.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Southwood. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.