Place:Smeeth, Kent, England

Watchers
NameSmeeth
TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Located inKent, England
See alsoAldington, Kent, Englandancient parish in which it was a chapelry
Bircholt Barony and Franchise, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
East Ashford Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Ashford District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Smeeth is a mostly agricultural village and civil parish, centred 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Ashford in the Ashford Borough of Kent, England.

The church of St. Mary contains some Norman work such as the south doorway, tower archways and chancel.

Three east-west routes pass quite near to the middle of the parish and are aligned east-west: the M20 motorway, a county-level single carriageway road and High Speed 1 railway. Most of the development is residential and all of the neighbourhoods are north of the motorway. The parish has many headwaters to the East Stour which bounds Smeeth to its south. The far northern borders are contiguous with Brabourne Lees and link into its main 'village street' directly; this is also where most of the buffer land is woodland.

Smeeth was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Aldington in Bircholt Barony and Franchise. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the East Ashford Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Borough of Ashford.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
  • The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Smeeth. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.