|Type||Parish (ancient), Village|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Church Shocklach, Cheshire, England||township which was a part of Shocklach prior to 1866|
|Shocklach Oviatt, Cheshire, England||township which was a part of Shocklach prior to 1866|
|Caldecott, Cheshire, England||township which was a part of Shocklach prior to 1866|
|Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Shocklach is a village on the borders of the civil parishes of Church Shocklach and Shocklach Oviatt in Cheshire, England. Shocklach Village is on the southernmost tip of Cheshire and approximately 1 kilometre to the border between Wales and England-the River Dee. Shocklach is set beside a tributary of the Dee between Wrexham in Wales (16 kilometres away) and Nantwich in Cheshire. The River Dee is a major salmon and sea trout fishery; and one in which Shocklach fishery engages in.
Prior to 1866 Shocklach was an ancient parish containing the townships of Caldecott, Church Shocklach, and Shocklach Oviatt. While Shocklach was an ancient parish, part of it was in Wrexham Registration District in Denbighshire, Wales.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shocklach from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SHOCKLACH, two townships in Wrexham [registration] district, and a parish partly also in Great Boughton [registration] district, and all in Cheshire. The townships are [Shocklach] Church and [Shocklach] Oviatt; and lie on the river Dee, 4½ miles NW of Malpas, and 7½ E of Wrexham [railway] station. Acres: 1,239 and 1,022. Real property: £1,478 and £1,914. Population: 180 and 168. Houses: 30 and 36. The manor belongs to Sir R. Puleston, Bart.
- "The parish contains also the township of Caldecott, and comprises 2,691 acres. Post town, Farndon, under Chester. Population: 414. Houses: 77. [The] manor belongs to T. T. Drake, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value: £107. Patron: Sir R. Puleston, Bart. The church is ancient but good. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel."
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton Hundred, Cheshire, England | Shocklach, Cheshire, England | Church Shocklach, Cheshire, England | Shocklach Oviatt, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester District, Cheshire, England