Sedgebrook is a village and civil parish in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the A52 road, 6 miles (9.7 km) west of Grantham. Wikipedia gives a population figure of 375 (undated, but probably the UK census of 2001).
The village lies in the north of the Vale of Belvoir, beside Foston Beck, a tributary of the River Witham. Adjacent villages are Barrowby, 2 miles (3.2 km) southeast; North Muskham (in Nottinghamshire), 1.75 miles (2.8 km) west; Bottesford, 3.25 miles (5.2 km) west-northwest; and Allington, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north. The village is overlooked by Belvoir Castle, 3.5 miles to the southwest.
The parish church of St Lawrence is a largely 15th-century building, with an early 13th-century north arcade and a 14th-century chancel arch. The church is the only Grade I listed building in the village. Sedgebrook Manor House is Grade II* listed. The earliest known owners of the Hall were the Markhams in the 15th century.
The wartime RAF Bottesford airfield lies 3 miles (4.8 km) north-west of the village.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Sedgebrook. Includes a list of all the owners of Sedgebrook Manor and a summary of 19th century population statistics.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.