Schuylerville is a village in Saratoga County, New York, United States. The population was 1,197 at the 2000 census. The village is named after the Schuyler family. Schuylerville was the site of the Battles of Saratoga (177) and contains several historic buildings including General Schuyler House and Old Saratoga Reformed Church. The Saratoga Monument is located in nearby Victory, Saratoga County, New York. Schuylerville High School and a library are part of the village.
The Village of Schuylerville is in the northeast part of the Town of Saratoga and is east of Saratoga Springs. It borders the Village of Victory. Schuylerville is close to the Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Raceway, Saratoga National Historical Park, Skidmore College, SUNY Empire State College, Adirondack Community College and Glens Falls Civic Center. The New York State Thruway and I-87 run near Schuylerville connecting it with Albany, the Adirondacks, the Catskills, and New England.
Inhabited by Native Americans from at least 1,200 years ago, the region was settled by Dutch settlers from Albany, New York in 1691 and called Fort Saratoga. These settlers included the Schuyler family. Conflicts occurred between French, Indians, Dutch, and English peoples. The peace of 1763 between France and England left the area open for settlement. Homes and mills were built including General Phillip Schuyler's flax mill in 1767 (the first of its kind in the American Colonies).
The community that developed near the fort was originally called "Saratoga," but was partly destroyed in 1745. The Old Saratoga reformed Church was organized in 1770. It was used as a hospital during the Revolutionary War).
In 1777 the British crossed the Hudson and marched south about 9 miles to Stillwater. After their defeat, the British retreated back to the village, where they surrendered, marking the "turning point of the Revolution." This event is known as the Battles of Saratoga. The Americans' victory at Saratoga was enough to finally convince France to throw her support to the American cause and Spain would eventually follow France's lead.
The village was incorporated in 1831 as Schuylerville. The Champlain Canal helped the local economy. Many people and businesses currently refer to the village by the nickname Old Saratoga, also, Olde Saratoga.