Place:Sawtry, Huntingdonshire, England

Watchers


NameSawtry
Alt namesSaltredesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 141
TypeVillage
Coordinates52.433°N 0.267°W
Located inHuntingdonshire, England
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Sawtry is a village in the district of Huntingdonshire in the county of Cambridgeshire, England. The village is home to over 6000 people.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

During the Dark Ages, Sawtry was divided into three parishes - All Saints, St. Andrew and Judith and originally got its name from the fact that it was a trading centre for salt, an essential commodity in the Middle Ages. The Cistercian Abbey of St Mary was founded in 1147 by Simon de Senlis grandson of Judith De Lens, niece of William the Conqueror who owned land in many parts of Britain but built her Manor in Sawtry and whom the Parish of Sawtry Judith is named after. The Abbey took 91 years to complete and ministered to the local area both spiritually and physically. This was demolished in 1540 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries as part of the English Reformation, although traces of the Abbey still remain.

Sawtry is twinned with the Gemeinde Weimar region in Germany.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Sawtry. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.