Sandgate was an urban district from 1894 to 1934 (having previously been part of Cheriton parish). It was added to Folkestone in 1934. With the rest of Folkestone it is now part of the Shepway District of Kent, England. In 2004, the village re-acquired civil parish status. It had a population of 4,225 at the 2001 census.
It is the site of Sandgate Castle, a Device Fort. The Device Forts, also known as Henrician Castles, are a series of artillery fortifications built to defend the southern coast of England by Henry VIII. After the King's divorce of Catherine of Aragon, England was left politically isolated, and the resulting hostility between France and Spain in 1538 aroused fears of invasion.
Kent Research Tips
This list has been taken from GENUKI where more places and websites for researching are listed.
Archives and Libraries
Civil Registration and Census
Family History Societies
Most of the county is divided between the Kent FHS and the North West Kent FHS.
Kent Probate Records Numerous links provided by Maureen Rawson