Sand Lake is a town in Rensselaer County, New York, United States. As of the 2010 census, the town had a population of 10,135. The town is in the south-central part of the county. Sand Lake is east of Albany, New York.
The town of Sand Lake was formed from Greenbush and Berlin June 19, 1812. In 1843 a part of Greenbush was taken off, and in 1848 the northern half was set off as a separate town under the name of Poestenkill. Sand Lake is south of the centre of Rensselaer county. It is bounded on the north by Poestenkill, on the east by Berlin, on the south by Nassau and Schodack and on the west by East Greenbush and North Greenbush.
While the surface of the town is undulating in the west, it is quite mountainous in the east, a part of the Rensselaer Plateau extending through that section of the town. Oak hill, near the centre of the town, and Perigo hill, in the northeast corner, rise to a height of about above the level of the sea. The soil is very fertile in many parts of Sand Lake, especially in the comparatively low land in the eastern portion. Agriculture and grazing have always been carried on with success. In recent years numerous garden farms have been established, the markets of Troy being supplied largely by these in the proper season. Sand Lake strawberries and other berries and small fruits are among the finest produced in Eastern New York. One of the principal characteristics of the town is its numerous small lakes, in which fish of nearly all kinds inhabiting still fresh water abound, and the number of summer guests in all parts of the town is constantly increasing. Crystal Lake is near the centre of the town, and is the largest body of water lying entirely within the limits of the town. Burden Lake and Crooked Lake are in the southern part, the former lying partly in the town of Nassau. Glass Lake is between Crystal Lake and Crooked Lake. Big Bowman and Little Bowman ponds are close together in the eastern part, and Richard Pond is in the northwestern part near Averill Park. The Wynants Kill and the Tsatsawassa are the principal streams. The former rises in Crooked Lake and flows through Glass Lake and Burden Lake into the Hudson River at North Greenbush. It also drains Richard Pond. The latter drains the eastern part of the town and flows southerly into Nassau. The Wynants Kill furnishes one of the finest water powers in eastern New York.
The first permanent settlements in Sand Lake were made in its western part, probably in 1765 or 1766. The earliest inhabitants located in the western part of the town. They were sturdy Dutch farmers who had come from the Netherlands a few years after the settlement of Albany, or who had first located further down the valley of the Hudson. In 1767 there were but two families, as far as is known, residing within the limits of the town. One of these was a family named Adams, residing near the river in the southern part of the town. The other was a family named Brett (or Bradt), who had a home a short distance from that of the Adams family. Which of these was the first to locate within the limits of the town cannot be learned.
A few years after these settlements were made the family of Abram Bristol lived on the west side of Burden Lake; and on the opposite side resided the family of Ephraim Quimby. About the same time or a year or two later, certainly before the War of the Revolution, a home was established in the southwestern part of the town, near the farm of Mr. Brett, by Andrew Weatherwax (Andreas Wederwax). Not far from him Philip Carpenter was located. Philip Gardner located about a mile west of the site of Sand Lake village during or immediately after the Revolution. Soon after Abram Frere settled at West Sand Lake, probably in 1790. Near him, and not much later, Jacob Fellows, Nicholas Fellows and Zachariah Fellows built homes and began the cultivation of the land on an extensive scale. The first hotel in that section was kept by Nicholas Fellows. Andreas Baert settled in the closing days of the eighteenth century in the southwestern part of the town, and among his neighbors were John Carmichael, who served in the War of the Revolution; John I. Miller and Stephen Miller.
In 1768 William Carpenter and Joshua Lockwood built a grist mill at West Sand Lake, the first in the town. Other early settlers near him were Michael Reichard, Hendrick Younghaus, who had two Sons, Henry and Wynant; B. Brumagen and Job Gilbert. Thomas and Calyin Thompson made an early settlement at Sand Lake village, the former building a saw mill and forge on the creek there. Solomon Taylor, who came from Schodack about 1791, operated a saw mill in town. In the northern part of the town, among the first residents were Andrew Smith, Martinus Smith, Isaac Root, Henry Stupplebeen, John Stupplebeen, Godfrey Wood and Samuel Hammond. The Rexford family located at an early day in the southwestern corner of the town. Among their earliest neighbors were the Wilkinson family, Donald and his brother. Gilbert Westfall, John Bowman and John Miller were early inhabitants of the western section.
One of the first physicians in Sand Lake-the earliest of whom there appears to be any positive record-was Dr. Uriah M. Gregory, who located near Sand Lake village with his brothers, Stephen, Daniel M., Justus and Eben Gregory. Justus Gregory was a Methodist ministier, Daniel M. Gregory was a glass manufacturer and store-keeper, and Eben Gregory was a shoemaker and tanner. A man named Stone was also a shoemaker and tanner, and located nearby about the same time. Several other early inhabitants were engaged in glass making at a very early period. The Averill family, of which James K. Averill of Averill Park is a descendant, were also among the early settlers in the western portion of Sand Lake. About 1790 William Butz, who had served in. the War of the Revolution, located with his family at Sand Lake. John Upham, also a Revolutionary soldier, located near Crooked Lake and raised a large family.
Among the other pioneers of Sand Lake, some of the prominent men were: Frederick Shaver, Lawrence Wederwax, Barnhardt Uline, Michael Sipperly, Joseph H. Sipperly, John T. Snook, Thomas Johnson, William Goslin, Wynant Van Aistyne, Daniel Thompson, Solomon Taylor, Lewis Bullock, Timothy Bowerman, Lewis Finch, Nicholas Reichard, Eleazer Peck, Wright Thorn, John Souter, Henry Mould. John Crook, John Clapper, Henry Coons, John Warner, Major Thomas Frothingham, who was an officer in the Continental army during the War of the Revolution; N. Smith, Reuben Underwood, David Arnold, and families bearing the names of Fethers, Ford, Davis, Cook, Emmons, Culver, Farrell, Pratt, Lewis, Wells, Huntley, Wickham, Fuller, Strope, Hegeman, Sheppard, Higgenbottom, De Freest, Rykert, Woodworth, Hayes, Townsend, Richmond, Cornwell, Carmichael, Stone, Russell, Frear (probably Frere), Guyot, Kelly, Kerner, Jacobs, Simmons, Comb, Calkins, Kilmer and others.
Probably the first tavern in town was kept by Nicholas Fellows at or very near the present site of Averill Park (West Sand Lake), though another was established very soon after by Barnhardt Uline near the same point. In the southwestern part of the town another was kept by one of the Rexford brothers. At Sand Lake village a tavern was built at an early clay, but who its proprietor was is not known. The second was owned by Thomas Thompson. The latter for many years was one of the most popular public resorts in the town, and all stages stopped there. Later proprietors of this famous inn have been John Whittaker, Levi Parker, Franklin Averill and James H. Gabler. About 1820 a hotel was built at Sliter's Corners by Clement Sliter, after whom the hamlet was named. About the same time John Bowers had a hotel at Glass House. About 1840 John Miller built a hotel at South Sand Lake. Lewis Bullock had one on the old "Bullock place" as early as 1800, possibly before that year. Other early tavern-keepers in the town were Theodorus Gregory, Pliny Miller and Jacob Hegeman.
The first store at Sand Lake was started about 1795 by Solomon Taylor. Later on Thomas Thompson and Calvin Thompson became successful merchants, and still later Stephen Gregory. At Glass House the first merchant was Daniel M. Gregory. About 1830 Franklin Averill conducted a store at Sliter's Corners, and about the same time William Stevens established one at South Sand Lake, which in its early days was known as Stevens Corners. Soon after Nicholas Lester entered into business there. At West Sand Lake Barnhardt Uline kept a small store in connection with his tavern. Before 1830 William L. Stewart, then William H. Snyder, had stores in the same locality.
Dr. Uriah M. Gregory doubtless was the first physician to begin practice in the town. His son, Dr. Charles H. Gregory, was also a practitioner. As early as 1820 Dr. Asaph Clark was in practice. At Sliter's Corners Dr. Albert Ball and Dr. Joseph H. Elmore were early physicians. Dr. Benjamin Judson opened an office at West Sand Lake about 1825. Dr. Philander H. Thomas, Dr. Platt Burton and Dr. 0. E. Lansing were also early practitioners there. Among other physicians who were in practice during the first half of the century were Dr. Lorenzo D. Streeter, Dr. Thomas Browning, Dr. Diller, Dr. Nicholas B. Harris and Dr. Alexander H. Hull. One of the earliest lawyers in town was Cornelius Snyder.
The first turnpike in Sand Lake was established about 1795, and extended from Albany to Berlin. About thirty years afterward the Troy and Sand Lake turnpike was constructed, and a short time afterward the Eastern Union turnpike, which had its eastern terminus in Hancock, Mass., and ran through Sand Lake village, was built. The early records of the town meetings in Sand Lake, unfortunately, are incomplete. The first meeting was held soon after the organization of the town in 1812, but the date does not appear. Ebenezer Gregory was elected moderator and the first town officers chosen, as far as can be determined from the minutes of the meeting, were school directors-Dr. Uriah M. Gregory, William Gorsline and Samuel Delamater. Ebenezer Gregory was elected poundmaster and fifty-eight overseers of highways were chosen After the transaction of some further business the following additional officers were chosen:
Supervisor, Calvin Thompson; town clerk, David E. Gregory; assessors, Lawrence Van Aistyne, John Clint, Ezra Newton; commissioners of highways. John Stevens, John North, Jacob Boyce; overseers of the poor, Stephen Gregory, Lewis Bullock; collector, Jonathan Ford; constables, John Dinicbarke, Jonathan Ford, Henry Ford; school commissioners, Aretus Lyman, Joel Bristol, Ellis Foster.
Early provision was made for the schools of the town. One of the first buildings devoted to this purpose was located on the road between Sand Lake and Sliter's Corners, about midway between the two hamlets. Soon after common schools were established at several other points in the town. There were also several other well-conducted private schools. One of these was kept by Dr. Joseph H. Elmore and another by Mr. Jaynes at Sliter's Corners. The Sand Lake academy was founded in 1843 by Mr. Weston and, was the first graded school of high standing in the town. - The Sand Lake collegiate institute was established in 1852 by William H. Scram and was the first preparatory school in town. It was conducted with great success for many years and among those who received their education within its walls were many of the representative men of the town. In 1854 a high grade select school was established in the basement of the Second Lutheran church at West Sand Lake (now Averill Park). About 1860 another was started at Sliter's Corners by Harvey H. Boone.
One of the representative institutions of the town, the Mutual Insurance Association of Sand Lake, Poestenkill, Berlin and Stephentown, was founded May 21, 1878, the first directors being Joel B. Peck, Dr. E. W. Carmichael, Lewis W. Allendorph, John Vosburgh, John M. Miller, John Miller, William Upham and Arthur M. Peck. The first president was Joel B. Peck.
The Averill Park Land Improvement association was organized several years ago, principally through the efforts of James K. Averill, who has probably done more than any other single individual to further the interests of the town. Mr. Averill is a lawyer with an office in New York city, but he is in Averill Park weekly looking after the interests of the association and the village generally. An extended sketch of his life appears in the biographical department of this work.
The splendid water-power afforded by the fall in the bed of the Wynants kill was utilized to advantage at an early day, and numerous manufacturing industries have been established from time to time along the bank of the stream. As early as the year 1800 Stephen Van Rensselaer sold to a glass manufacturing company of Sloan's, Albany county, a tract of of land near the body of water whiclihas since been known as Glass Lake. One of the principal promoters of the enterprise was James Kane. William Richmond and Major Thomas Frothingham were also interested in the works early in their history. In 1816 the works were destroyed by fire. Three years later Isaac B. Fox and Nathan R. Crandall organized a new company and built a new factory for the manufacture of window glass. The latter died about six years later, and in 1830 Richard J. Knowison became interested in the concern. Stadlers, Ruch & Co. succeeded to the business. They assigned in 1836, and from that year to 1853 the business was conducted by A. R. & S. H. Fox. In the latter year the buildings were again burned and the manufacture of glass was discontinued. For many years the manufacturers employed from seventy-five to one hundred hands, and the industry was the principal one in the town and one of the most important in the county.
Saw mills, grist mills and a forge were established on the banks of the Wynants kill at an early date, increasing in numbers as the demand warranted it. In 1800 a forge and saw mill were built by Thomas Thompson. Twenty-five years afterward Calvin Thompson built a mill, which was first run by Coleman & Heminway as a satinet mill. In the building hosiery was subsequently manufactured. About 1822 Ephraim Whittaker built a tannery on the banks of the creek. In 1862 James Aken built a hosiery mill on its site. For many years afterward it was operated successively by Jephtha Kidder, Kidder & McCreedy, Kidder & North, Nelson P. Aken and Nicholas P. Kane. Early in the century a cotton mill was run by Aretus Lyman. Conrad Aibridge also operated a similar establishment. Arnold & Robinson, then Isaac McConihe succeeded to the business. As early as 1819 Albertson's oil cloth dressing factory was in operation, which was abandoned many years ago. Two or three other concerns making cloth goods or knit goods were in operation in the town during the first half of the present century. Andrew J. Smart's paper mill was erected about 1847 or 1848 by Staats D. Tompkins, who sold it about 1865 to Eugene Merwin and John W. Merwin. Ten years later it became the property of Mr. Smart. John Van Heusen built a satinet mill about 1832 on the site of the old Knowlson mill. The building was burned in 1874, but rebuilt at once by Andrew B. Knowlson. Fonda & Sipperly had an early saw mill at Averill Park, and at the same point George Sipperly had a cloth dressing establishment soon after. In 1865 a hosiery mill was established on the same water privilege by John H. Akin and John Mc-Laren.
In the War of the Revolution many of the men of Sand Lake gave their services to their country. While the list of those serving has not been preserved, among those who are known to have been in the Continental army were Thomas Thompson, Major Thomas Frothingham, Ebenezer Lane, Daniel Peck, David Arnold, Henry Wetby, Joseph Huntington, John Croat and Robert Burroughs: Among those serving in the War of 1812 were Peter Sipperly, Philip Snyder, Paul Wattenpaugh and Philip Lafite.
Sand Lake came promptly to the rescue of the government in the beginning of the War of the Rebellion. One hundred and three residents of the town enlisted, and of these the following died in the service:
Joseph Crape, Charles A. Smith, Francis Hendrick, Nelson Clements, Marcus Peck, Samuel Dowling, Barnard S. Uline, John Z. Robbins, William Slemmer, Scranton E. Wade, William H. Saxby, Andrew Trumble, Barney Marvin, Ervin E. Cole, Albert E. Adams, M. Knowlton, Leroy M. Hawkins and John Willy.
The majority of those in the service enlisted in the regiments organized in Rensselaer county.
None of the hamlets in Sand Lake are very large. Of these Sand Lake village, as it is commonly known, is in the central part of the town, and is the centre of several small hamlets, all known under the general name of Sand Lake. From time to time several small mills and manufactories of various kinds have been located there, the principal ones being woolen mills, a cotton-warp mill and a paper mill. It is also well supplied with stores and hotels and the usual complements of small villages. Probably the first postmaster was Dr. Uriah M. Gregory. The industries of the place have enjoyed quite a boom in recent years, and it is also becoming a favorite summer resort with many inhabitants of Troy, Albany and other cities. The village is located in a picturesque spot, and the lake, well stocked with fish, is an increasing attraction to the summer guests.
Averill Park, formerly West Sand Lake, is really an independent and comparatively new hamlet located within a short distance of the original West Sand Lake, which still bears its own name. The place is picturesquely located at the southeastern terminus of that part of the Troy & New England railroad which has been constructed since 1895, and is rapidly growing. It was named in honor of the Averill family, of whom Hon. James K. Averill has become a most conspicuous member. Through his efforts the Averill Park Land' Improvement company was organized a few years ago, since which time the hamlet has been greatly improved. Averill Park has excellent hotels and a few small industries. The post office was established a few years since and is located near the terminus of the Troy & New England railway.
West Sand Lake is located a short distance from Averill Park and is a picturesque hamlet. It has several manufacturing industries, four churches and a number of stores. The post office was established about 1840 with Frost Myers as postmaster. The place was formerly called Ulinesville, in honor of Barnhardt Uline, the first settler.
Sliter's Corners is located about three quarters of a mile east of Sand Lake village, and received its name from the Sliter family, pioneer settlers. Its industries are small and not numerous.
South Sand Lake, as its name implies, is located in the southern part of the town, not far from the Schodack line. The post-office was established there about 1860.
Glass House is located at the point where the old glass factories were established, a short distance southeast of Sliter's Corners, near Glass Lake. It was originally called Rensselaer Village.
The first church in town was erected by the Lutherans in the earliest days of the town, and was built of logs. It was taken down in 1816 and removed to West Sand Lake, where it has since been known as the First Lutheran church of West Sand Lake. One of its earliest benefactors was Stephen Van Rensselaer.
The First Presbyterian church of Sand Lake was organized, January 7, 1805, by members of the Congregational church in Nassau, who united with Presbyterians residing in Sand Lake to form the new society. It was originally known as the Protestant society and was organ ized as the Presbyterian church in December, 1808. Before the town of Sand Lake was erected it was known as the First Presbyterian church of Greenbush, changing its name upon the organization of Sand Lake. For many years the society worshipped in the old Union church, which later became the property of the Baptist society. In 1835 the congregation built a church of their own at Sliter's Corners. The first pastor of whom there is any record was the Rev. John Keyes, who served from 1808 to 1812.
The Sand Lake Baptist church was founded in 1831, the members coming from the Baptist churches of Schodack and the Second Baptist church of Nassau. The Rev. Calvin Williams, the first regular pastor, served from January, 1832, to November, 1833. The society began to worship in the Union church, which was built in the first decade of the present century, and which it has used for many years.
The Evangelical Lutheran church of West Sand Lake dates from the year 1837, most of the members coming from the first Lutheran church established in the village. Its first pastor was the Rev. John D. Lawyer, who had been pastor of the first Lutheran church. The house of worship was dedicated October 5, 1839, and was repaired in 1864.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Sand Lake has been established many years, but just when the first society was formed is not known, as the early records are indefinite on this point. Clark's chapel, erected in 1834, was originally connected as a charge with the Nassau Methodist Episcopal church, later with the Glass House church and finally with Sand Lake. Olive chapel, at Sand Lake, was built in 1874. It was first connected with the church at West Sand Lake, but became a part of the Sand Lake charge in 1878. The Rev. William W. Whitney was its first ±egular pastor. The church at Glass House and Clark's chapel were for some time one charge.
The church at West Sand Lake known as the Salem German church of the Evangelical Association was founded in 1845, and services began in the old Lutheran church with the Rev. J. G. Margquardt as pastor. One building served for a church and parsonage for several years, or until 1865, when a church edifice was erected. In 1858 a branch church was organized on the bill two miles (3 km) away, by the Rev. J. Greuzebach. In 1860 a house of worship was built for the use of the second church, the two societies being one pastoral charge.
The Methodist Episcopal church of West Land Lake was organized some time about 1835, but regular meetings were not held until 1843 or 1844. The construction of a meeting house near West Sand Lake was begun soon after the formation of the society, but it was left unfinished for several years. It was finally completed and removed nearer the centre of population at that point. During its early history services were in charge of local preachers, the first df whom, as near as can be learned, was Asa Hand.
St. Henry's Roman Catholic church at Sand Lake started in a mission established in 1868 by the Rev. Father Hopkins of St. Francis's church of Troy. The Rev. Father Gabriels, afterward bishop, who was connected with St. Joseph's provincial seminary at Troy, held the first regular services, remaining until 1870. Work upon the churäh edifice was begun in the fall of 1869, and the church was incorporated January 4, 1870. Chapels at Nassau and East Poestenkill were connected with St. Henry's church soon after its establishment.
SUPERVISORS OF SAND LAKE.1
1813-1819,Calvin Thompson; 1820. A. Lyman; 1821–1822, Lewis Bullock; 1823, George Sipperly; 1824, J. Brower; 1825, N. B. Harris; 1826, Calvin Thompson; 1827, William F. Averill; 1828–1831, H. R. Bristol; 1832, N. B. Harris; 1833, G. Sipperly;1834, N. B. Harris; 1835, G. Reed; 1836–1837, M. Peck; 1838–1841, George Horton; 1842–1844,J. I. Vosburgh; 1845, George Sipperly; 1846, S. Coons; 1847, Calvin Sliter; 1848–1850, A. H. Fox; 1851, C. Sliter; 1852–1853, A. Mott; 1854–1855, N. Upham; 1856–1857, O. Horton; 1858–1860, P. H. Thomas; 1861, W. Stevens; 1862–1865, Joel B. Peck; 1866–1867, B. A. Thomas; 1868–1869, J. B. Peck; 1870–1871, M. Robinson; 1872–1873, S. M. Lester; 1874, J. H. Bonesteel; 1875, John H. Alsin; 1876, David Horton; 1878–1880, Milo Robinson; 1881, Arthur M. Peck; 1882, Andrew J. Smart; 1883, Arthur M. Peck; 1884, Andrew J. Smart; 1885, William Moul ;2 1886, Andrew J. Smart; 1887, William Upham; 1888, A. D. McConihe; 1889–1890, Sanford B. Horton; 1891, Chris. Crape; 1892–1895, Charles Holser; 1896- -, E. B. Boyce.
1 The courteous assistance of John E. Martin, esq., town clerk of Sand Lake, in compiling these lists of town officers, is gratefully acknowledged. During certain years the records were unsatisfactory, but the names and dates given are as nearly correct as it is possible to obtain them.
2 Died in May, 1885; Andrew J. Smart elected to fill vacancy.
TOWN CLERKS OF SAND LAKE.
1813, David E. Gregory; 1814–1815, William Foster; 1816–1818, William Finch; 1819–1822, Simon Tenny; 1823-1824. Marcus Peck; 1825–1826, William F. Averill; 1827–1833,Marcus Peck; 1834, Peter F. Westervelt; 1835–1837, John I. Vosburgh; 1838–1839; John H. Gregory; 1840, Calvin Sliter; 1841, John H. Gregory; 1842–1843, Solomon Coons; 1844, Reuben A. Thomas; 1845, S. V. R. Cole; 1846, David Fonda; 1847, David Luce; 1848, Lorenzo M. Lown; 1849–1850, William L. Stewart, jr.; 1851, Jacob Boyce; 1852, W. H. Wicks; 1853, Joseph Alden; 1854, William H. Lyons; 1855, Samuel D. Seymour; 1856, Harmon Westfall; 1857, George Sliter; 1858, Albert H. Dutcher; 1859–1861, George Sliter; 1862, D. E. Barnes; 1863, William H. Ford; 1864, B. M. Wilkinson; 1865, Jeffrey P. Thomas; 1866–1867, David Horton; 1868, Lewis Robins; 1869, Washington Snyder; 1870–1871, Sylvester M. Lester; 1872–1873, George F. Rogers; 1874–1875, Alvin H. Cipperly; 1876–1880, Arthur M. Peck; 1881–1885, James C. Cotton; 1886–1888, Sanford B. Horton; 1889–1895, Frank Pettit; 1896-, John B. Martin.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE OF SAND LAKE.
1830. Marcus Peck; 1831, William F. Averill; 1832, Eleazer Flint; 1833, Carpenter G.Conklin; 1834, William L. Stewart; 1835, Marcus Peck; 1836, William F. Averill, Eleazer Flint; 1837, William F. Averill; 1838, Jacob Hegeman; 1839, Marcus Peck, John Wood; 1840, Jacob Wheeler, Ebenezer Barringer; 1841, Rescome H. Wheeler, Ebenezer Barringer; 1842, George Carnryck; 1843, Marcus Peck; 1844, Jacob Wheeler, Eleazer Wooster; 1845, Eleazer Wooster; 1846, George Carnryck; 1847, Marcus Peck; 1848, Jacob Wheeler, Willard Foster, Joseph Bly; 1849, Cornelius Schermerhorn; 1851, B. F. Foster, Adam Mott; 1852, Jacob Boyce; 1853, Cornelius Schermerhorn; 1854, Lewis Sliter, William S. Stewart; 1855, William Moul, John L. Lape, Thomas Brewer; 1856, Jacob Wheeler; 1857, Cornelius Schermerhorn; 1858, William M. Horton; : 859, Joel B. Peck, William Moul; 1860, S. D. Seymour, Joshua Coons; 1862, George Sliter; 1863, William Moul; 1864, B. A. Thomas, William M. Horton; . 1865, Lewis Sliter; 1866, William M. Horton: 1867, William Moul; 1868, John L. Lape; 1869, Moses Coul; 1870, James Clark; 1871, William Moul; 1872, Burton A. Thomas; 1873, William M. Horton; 1874, Jeremiah Conant, Moses Coul; 1875, William Moni; 1876, Burton A. Thomas; 1877, Frank Pettit, Joel B. Peck; 1878. Joel B. Peck, H. A. Cook; 1879, William Moul; 1880, C. Snyder; 1881, Albert Kilmer; 1882, Ezra W. Knowlton; 1883, William Moul; 1884, B. J. L. Sliter; 1885, Albert Kilmer; 1885, A. H. Cipperly (appointed to fill, vacancy); 1886, A. H. Cipperly; 1887, Addison P. Lape; 1888, C. Snyder; 1889, Albert Kilmer; 1890, Addison P. Lape; 1891, Addison TJline; 1892, E. M. Gregory, Le Grand M. Turner (appointed to fill vacancy); 1893, Sanford B. Horton; 1894, Le Grand M. Turner; 1895, Addison Uline; 1896, Aipheus Bailey.