|Alt names||Suineberie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 114|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England|
|See also||Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Pebworth Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which the parish was part 1894-1931|
|Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which the parish was part 1931-1935|
|North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which the parish was part 1935-1974|
|Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Saintbury is a village and civil parish now in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England, close by the border with Worcestershire (to the west).
Saintbury was part of the Pebworth Rural District from 1894 until 1931 when the rural district was broken up. Pebworth RD was made up of four detached parts with parishes in Worcestershire in between them. In the reorganization, some of the parishes were transferred to Worcestershire, but Saintbury and three other parishes were transferred to Campden Rural District.
In a more wide-reaching Gloucestershire reorganization of 1935, Campden RD was disbanded and all its parishes were transferred to the newly-formed and much larger North Cotswold Rural District.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Saintbury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SAINTBURY, a parish in the district of Evesham and county of Gloucester; 1½ mile N E by N of Broadway, and 3¾ S of Honeybourne [railway] station. Post-town, Broadway. Acres: 1, 336. Real property: £2, 288. Population: 121. Houses: 27. The manor was anciently called Suineberie, after King Sweyne; and belongs now to Sir J. M. Steele-Grave, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £415. Patron: J. R. West, Esq. The church is good, and has a spire. Charities, £6."
Online sources which may also be helpful:
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Pebworth Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England | North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Saintbury, Gloucestershire, England
Help fund new features!