|Name||Ryston with Roxham|
|Alt names||Roxham||source: GENUKI|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||Clackclose Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Downham Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Ryston, Norfolk, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|King's Lynn and West Norfolk District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845 is provided online by GENUKI. Its description of Roxham states that it was located 4 miles south by east of Downham Market and had a population of 45 people on 700 acres. There was one landowner, E. R. Pratt, and the land was divided into two holdings farmed by Robert Gilling and Henry Norbourn.
The church serving the parish had been a ruin for several centuries by 1845 and the curacy was consolidated with the adjoining parish of Ryston. Thus the ecclesiastical parish was listed as Ryston with Roxham when civil registration began in 1837. It would appear that Ryston with Roxham was also then considered a civil parish but only covered the original parish of Roxham. Ryston continued as a separate parish to the south. In 1935 Ryston with Roxham was abolished and absorbed into Ryston. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)
The area is now part of the King's Lynn and West Norfolk District of Norfolk, England.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Roxham. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses as well as to 19th century gazetteers and directories.