Place:Rodborough, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers
NameRodborough
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.739°N 2.228°W
Located inGloucestershire, England
See alsoLongtree (hundred), Gloucestershire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Rodborough is a civil parish in the district of Stroud in Gloucestershire, England. It is directly south of the town of Stroud, north of the town of Nailsworth and north-west of the village of Minchinhampton. Until 1974 much of the parish was part of the Stroud Urban District Council and forms part of the Stroud urban area along with Stroud and Cainscross. Until sometime in the 19th century it was a chapelry in the parish of Minchinhampton.

A 19th century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rodborough from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"RODBOROUGH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stroud [registration] district, Gloucester. The village stands near Stroud river, 1 mile S S W of Stroud [railway] station; and is a seat of petty-sessions. The parish comprises 1,310 acres. Post-town, Stroud, under Gloucester. Real property: £12,063. Population: 2,165. Houses: 492. The property is much divided. The manor belongs to Earl Russell. There are several good residences, and some woollen-cloth mills and dye-works. [Rodborough] Hill commands an extensive and very fine view, and has remains of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £300.* Patron, P.jose [?], Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was re-built in 1842, and is in a florid later English style. A morning lectureship belongs to the church, and is in the gift of Brasenose college, Oxford. Portions of the parish are included in the chapelries of Brimscombe and Amberley. There are an Independent ehapel, two endowed schools with £85 a year, and a British school. Clutterbuck, a blind mechanical genius, born in 1638, was a native.
"The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres: 4,192. Population: 5,819. Houses: 1,169.

Registration Districts

Stroud (1837 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )

Research Tips

Online sources which may also be helpful:

  • The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Rodborough, available online on the website British History Online.
  • GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
  • A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
  • The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Rodborough. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.