|Alt names||Regulbium||source: Athena, Romano-British Sites [online] (2000); Romano-British Placenames [online] (1999) accessed 17 August 2004|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Bleangate Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Blean Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|Herne Bay, Kent, England||urban district into which it was absorbed in 1934|
|Canterbury District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Reculver is a village and coastal resort about 3 miles (5 km) east of Herne Bay, since 1974, in the City of Canterbury District of Kent. It once occupied a strategic location at the northwestern end of the Wantsum Channel, a sea lane that separated the Isle of Thanet and the Kent mainland until the late Middle Ages.
Reculver was originally an ancient parish in the Bleangate Hundred. Between 1894 and 1934 it was part of the Blean Rural District. In 1934 the rural district was abolished and the parishes were transferred to the larger Bridge Blean Rural District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Reculver. This is a very long article.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Reculver, Kent, England | Bleangate Hundred, Kent, England | Blean Rural, Kent, England | Herne Bay, Kent, England | Canterbury District, Kent, England