- source: Family History Library Catalog
Ratcliff was originally a hamlet in the parish of Stepney, becoming a parish in its own right in 1866. In 1889 it was transferred from Middlesex to the newly-created County of London and in 1900 became part of Stepney Metropolitan Borough. Stepney Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965, and became part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in Greater London.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ratcliff or Ratcliffe is an area located on the north bank of the River Thames between Shadwell and Limehouse. It is now a part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.