- source: Family History Library Catalog
Randwick is a village and civil parish in Stroud District of Gloucestershire, England. It is immediately north of the town of Stroud.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Randwick from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RANDWICK, a village and a parish in Stroud [registration] district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile N W of Stroud [railway] station, and has a post-office under Stroud. The parish contains also the hamlet of Oxlinch, and is all within Stroud borough. Acres: 1,260. Real property: £2,702; of which £173 are in railways. Population in 1851: 959; in 1861: 1,060. Houses: 234. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to F. J. R. Barrow, Esq. Rylands, Blenheim House, and Longcourt are chief residences. Randwick Ash commands a fine view of the vale of Gloucester and the Malvern hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £130. Patron: the Vicar of Standish. The church is later English and Tudor; was restored the nave almost rebuilt in 1865; and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed national school with £40 a year, and charities £50."
Stroud (1837 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Randwick, available online on the website British History Online.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Randwick Sources is a local website produced by a native who provides a lot of genealogical information.
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Randwick, Gloucestershire, England | Whitstone (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Stroud Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Stroud (district), Gloucestershire, England