Place:Quendon, Essex, England

Watchers
NameQuendon
Alt namesKuenadanasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 104
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.95°N 0.2°E
Located inEssex, England     ( - 1946)
See alsoSaffron Walden Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Quendon and Rickling, Essex, Englandjoint parish of which it has been part since 1946
Uttlesford (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

Quendon was a civil parish in Saffron Walden Rural District in Essex, England from 1894 until 1946 when it merged with the neighbouring civil parish of Rickling. Since 1974 the joint parish has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.

A nineteenth century description

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Quendon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"QUENDON, a parish in Saffron-Walden [registration] district, Essex; adjacent to the river Stort and the London and Cambridge railway, 3 miles N by W of Elsenham [railway] station, and 6 S by W of Saffron-Walden. It has a post-office under Bishop-Stortford. Acres: 643. Real property: £952. Population: 165. Houses: 35. The manor, with [Quendon] Hall, belongs to Capt. H. Byng. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £165. Patron: Capt. H. Byng. The church was rebuilt in 1861."

Research Tips