Place:Prairie Street Cemetery, Elkhart, Elkhart, Indiana, United States

Watchers
NamePrairie Street Cemetery
TypeCemetery
Coordinates41.6561°N 85.9611°W
Located inElkhart, Elkhart, Indiana, United States
Also located inElkhart, Indiana, United States    

Background

Source: Prairie Street Cemetery website

The Prairie Street Cemetery is a city-owned cemetery located on the south side of Elkhart. It is on Hively Avenue, with its entrance just east of Prairie Street. The original land (5 acres) for the Prairie Street Cemetery was sold to the Mennonite Church by the owner Lewis Kulp in January 1895. Additional property was purchased for the cemetery on March 12, 1928 from Anna Kulp Moyer and Jacob Moyer. In March 1998, the Prairie Street Mennonite Church (owner of the Prairie Street Cemetery) donated the cemetery and any undevelooped land it owned adjacent to the cemetery at that time, to the city of Elkhart. It was estimated that there were over 9,000 burials already in the cemetery. Since the city of Elkhart has taken over the cemetery operations there have been an additional 1400 burials (through May 2008).

Resources

  1. FindAGrave.com
  2. Prairie Street Cemetery website
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!