- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Poole Keynes was transferred from the county of Wiltshire to Gloucestershire in 1897. (Source:Cirencester Registration District list of parishes produced by Brett Langston for UKBMD)
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Poole Keynes from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "POOLE-KEYNES, a parish in the district of Cirencester and county of Wilts; adjacent to the Swindon and Gloucester railway, and to the river Thames, 1½ mile S S E of Kemble-Junction [railway] station, and 5 S S W of Cirencester. Post-town. Cirencester. Acres: 1, 110. Real property, with Kemble: £7,002. Rated property of [Poole Keynes] alone: £1,836. Population: 180. Houses: 38. The manor belongs to Miss Gordon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £367. Patrons: the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was re-built in 1778. There is a national school."
Note: There is no article in Wikipedia, just a redirect to Kemble. Poole Keynes and Kemble may have merged into one parish, but there is no source for this assumption.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
(There may be more under Wiltshire in due course.
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cirencester Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Poole Keynes, Gloucestershire, England | Malmesbury (hundred), Wiltshire, England