Place:Plumley, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NamePlumley
Alt namesPlumbleysource: Family History Library Catalog
Henshaw Greensource: hamlet in parish
Holfordsource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.283°N 2.417°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoGreat Budworth, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Plumley (earlier: Plumbley) has been since 2009 a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Plumley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"PLUMBLEY, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire; on the Cheshire Midland railway, 2½ miles W S W of Knutsford. It has a station on the railway. Acres: 1,622. Real property: £2, 975. Population: 365. Houses: 65. The manor belongs to Lord De Tabley."

Plumley (formerly Plumbley) was a township in Lower Peover chapelry of Great Budworth ancient parish, Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Henshaw Green and Holford. The population was 303 in 1801, 376 in 1851, 333 in 1901, 483 in 1951, and 649 in 2001.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Plumley. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.