The parish extends to approximately 4.6 square miles, (1,177 hectares). It is bounded by the parishes of St. Mellion and St. Dominick to the north, the River Lynher to the west, Botus Fleming to the south and Landulph to the east. The population in 2011 was 435 of which 366 were on the electoral register. About 70 per cent of the people live in the village itself. Land use in the parish is dominated by farming, although less than 10 per cent of resident workers are employed in this industry. The majority of residents work outside the parish, and Pillaton is effectively a dormitory village for people employed in Plymouth and South East Cornwall.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.