Place:Peover Superior, Cheshire, England

NamePeover Superior
Alt namesBates Millsource: hamlet in parish
Over Peoversource: village in parish
Over-Peoversource: Family History Library Catalog
Parkgate in Peoversource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.265°N 2.345°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoRostherne, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was situated
Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Macclesfield District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: Over Peover (or Over-Peover) and Peover Heath have both been re-directed here.

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Peover Superior is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England.

Peover Superior is named after The Peover Eye river, which forms one of the parish boundaries. The village of Over Peover is located within the parish. There is also a nearby civil parish named Peover Inferior; the two areas are so named due to their standing on the river, with Peover Superior being higher up (or to the east) and Peover Inferior lower down on the river.

GENUKI provides the following details: Peover Superior (or Over Peover) (pronounced Pee-ver) was a township and chapelry in Rostherne ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Bates Mill, Free Green (part, redirected to Peover Inferior), Over Peover and Parkgate in Peover. The population was 451 in 1801, 543 in 1851, 549 in 1901, 696 in 1951, and 658 in 2001.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Peover Superior. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.