|Alt names||Lower Pembury Green||source: settlement in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Twyford Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Washlingstone Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tonbridge Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Tunbridge Wells District, Kent, England||district municipality into which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Pembury is a large village in Kent in the southeast of England, with a population of around 6,000. It lies just to the northeast of Tunbridge Wells.
The village centre, including the village green and High Street area is a conservation area.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Pembury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PEMBURY, a village and a parish in Tonbridge [registration] district, Kent. The village stands 3 miles S E of Tonbridge [railway] station, and has a post-office under Tonbridge. The parish contains also the hamlet of Lower Pembury Green, and comprises 3,481 acres. Real property: £6,308. Population in 1851: 1,114; in 1861: 1,257. Houses: 265. The manor belongs to Marquis Camden. Kennards is the seat of Sir John K. Shaw, Bart.; and Grovehurst, of H. G. W. Sperling, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Trinity, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £353. Patron: the Rev. G. S. Woodgate. The parish church stands about 1½ mile from the village, includes Norman portions, and contains several very old and curious monuments. Trinity church stands in the S; was erected recently, at a cost of about £2,500; and is in the later English style, with tower and spire. There are a national school, alms-houses, and charities £70."
Pembury's boundaries were considerably altered in 1934 when it absorbed part of the parish of Tonbridge Rural (which was abolished that year) and relinquished an even larger acreage to Tunbridge Wells parish. There may be references to Pembury residents in sources for both Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells parishes.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Pembury, Kent, England | Twyford Hundred, Kent, England | Washlingstone Hundred, Kent, England | Tonbridge Rural, Kent, England | Tunbridge Wells District, Kent, England