|Alt names||Almondesberie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 111|
|Type||Town, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Langley and Swineshead (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was part located|
|Thornbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was part located|
|Berkeley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was part located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Almondsbury is a large village and civil parish, since 1996, located in South Gloucestershire within the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire, England. It is near Bristol and junction 16 of the M5 motorway.
The village is split by a steep hill, part of the escarpment overlooking the Severn floodplain. South Wales, the Forest of Dean, the River Severn and both Severn Bridges are visible from the higher parts of the village.
The civil parish of Almondsbury is much larger than the village. It includes the villages of Hortham, Over, Easter Compton, Compton Greenfield, Catbrain and Hallen. It also includes Cribbs Causeway and the site of the village of Charlton, now the western end of Filton Airfield.
When it was originally created in 1866 the civil parish also included Patchway, but not Easter Compton, Compton Greenfield, Hallen, Cribbs Causeway or Charlton, all of which were transferred from the parish of Henbury in 1935. The parish of Patchway was separated from Almondsbury in 1953.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Almondsbury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ALMONDSBURY, a village, a parish, and a [registration] subdistrict in the district of Thornbury, Gloucester. The village stands near the rivulet Boyd, at the foot of a ridge of limestone rocks, 1¾ mile from the Bristol and South Wales railway, 8 miles N of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol. It is said to have derived its name from Alcmond, King Egbert's father, who was buried in the church, and from a fortification in the neighbourhood. The heights above it, and the grounds of Knole House, adjacent on the SW, command a very noble and extensive view, embracing the estuary of the Severn and the hills of Monmouth and Wales. The parish includes the tythings of Almondsbury, Lea, Over, Gaunts-Earthcote, Lower Tockington, and Hempton and Patchway. Acres: 6,927. Real property: £15,078. Population: 1,864. Houses: 394. The property is much subdivided. Some lands belonged anciently to the priory of St. Augustine in Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £915. Patron: the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is cruciform and early English, with tower and spire at the intersection. There are a neat little chapel of ease at Cross Keys, two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £255."
- "The [registration] subdistrict comprises six parishes [and is made up of] Acres: 23,087 Population: 5,233. Houses: 1,084."
- Bristol Archives is where paper and microfilm copies of all records for Bristol and its environs are stored.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837). The GENUKI page for the parish will confirm which archive provider has its records.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- MAPS. Most Wikipedia maps for places in the Bristol area have outline maps indicating the location of the suburb under discussion. Another online map that may be useful is this Ordnance Survey map originally made in 1930 and with revisions to 1946.
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover all of Bristol--and the area that was originally in Gloucestershire is sadly omitted, save for the information on the churches in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 2
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Langley and Swineshead (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Thornbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Berkeley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Almondsbury, Gloucestershire, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England