- source: Family History Library Catalog
Otterden is a village on the hills called the Kent Downs in the borough of Maidstone in Kent, England.
Otterden was a civil parish in Hollingbourne Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 has been part of the Maidstone non-metropolitan district.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Otterden from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "OTTERDEN, a parish, with a village, in Hollingbourn [registration] district, Kent; 2 miles S S W of Eastling, and 6½ S W by S of Faversham [railway] station. Post-town, Eastling, under Faversham. Acres: 1,434. Real property: £1, 460. Population: 194. Houses: 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Lewins and the Curteises; and, with Otterden Place, belongs now to the Rev. Wheeler. [Otterden] Place is a pretty mansion, partly of the time of Henry VIII.; was the scene of experiments, allied to those of Dr. Franklin, leading to the identification of lightning with electricity; and commands fine views over the wooded country toward Faversham, with distant glimpses of the sea. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £307. Patron: the Rev. W. A. Paxton. The church was re-built in 1753; is an elegant structure of brick and stone; and contains some 17th century monuments of the Lewins and the Curteises. Charities, £10 and alms-houses."