- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Oldbury-on-Severn is a small village and civil parish near the mouth of the River Severn in South Gloucestershire within the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire, England.
Until 1894 Oldbury was in the civil parish of Thornbury, but from then until 1974 it was a separate parish. In 1974 it became part of the short-lived county of Avon, and from 1996 has been part of the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire.
The parish church is dedicated to St Arilda, a local saint and martyr whose origins may lie in the fourth or fifth century.
- These notes re sources from GENUKI may be of interest:
- Original source material relating to Oldbury, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the premises of Gloucestershire Archives.
- Scribes Alcove is a site to enable searches of baptism, marriage and burial indexes from six Gloucestershire parishes: Berkeley, Thornbury, Oldbury-upon-Severn, Hill, Stone and Rockhampton.
- The period covered for St Arilda's Church parish records is 1813-1878C[hristenings] (except 1859-1862); 1813-1878B[urials] (except 1859-1862). There were no Marriages.
- Abstracts of Rockhampton, Thornbury & Oldbury on Severn Wills 1541 - 1567, 1568 - 1576 and 1577 - 1599; and of Thornbury & Oldbury-upon-Severn Wills 1600 - 1614, 1615 - 1624, 1625 - 1635 and 1636 - 1650, transcribed by Leslie Mahler.