Place:Offham, Kent, England

Watchers
NameOffham
Alt namesOfehamsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 149
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.283°N 0.367°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoLarkfield Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Malling Rural, Kent, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Tonbridge and Malling District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


Offham is a village in the local government district of Tonbridge and Malling in Kent, England, five miles to the west of Maidstone. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Malling Rural District. It was originally an ancient parish in the Larkfield Hundred of Kent.

For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Offham.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Offham from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"OFFHAM, a village and a parish in Malling [registration] district, Kent. The village stands at the N skirt of Mereworthwoods, adjacent to the Otford and Maidstone railway, 1½ mile W of West Malling and 6½ W N W of Maidstone; and has a post-office under Maidstone. Offham Greenlong had an ancient quintain, which the lord of the manor was said to be obliged to keep in repair; but only the upright post of it is now to be seen. The parish comprises 707 acres. Real property: £2,163. Population: 411. Houses: 82. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The manor-house is the residence of T. H. Hutchinson, Esq. Upwards of 200 acres are under hops. There is a Danish camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £259. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly Norman, chiefly early English, all in good condition; and has a tower. There is a village school. Jack Straw [the rebel during the reign of Richard II] was a native."

Research tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
  • The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Offham, Kent. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.