Nottingham is famed for its links to the legend of Robin Hood and, during the Industrial Revolution, obtained worldwide recognition for its lace-making, bicycle and tobacco industries. Nottingham's origins are traceable back to 600 AD, however, it was only granted its city charter in 1897, as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of Queen Victoria, and has since been officially titled the City of Nottingham.
Nottingham is the second largest city in the East Midlands (after Leicester), with a population of 305,700. This relatively small population is due to the tightly drawn official city boundary; the wider Nottingham Urban Area has a population of approximately 729,977, making it the ninth largest urban area in the United Kingdom. Eurostat listed Nottingham's population at 825,600 in 2004.
Nottingham has a number of famous institutions and venues – including the National Ice Centre, the National Water Sports Centre, a world-famous Test cricket ground, two professional English Football League teams, and top-flight cricket and ice hockey sides. In addition, over 60,000 students attend the city's two universities Nottingham Trent University and the University of Nottingham.
Culturally, there are two large-capacity theatres, numerous museums and art galleries, an independent cinema, and several live music venues, including the Nottingham Arena and Rock City, both of which regularly host major UK and international artists. In 2013 Nottingham was also named the most haunted city in England.
Nottingham was named Transport City of the Year in October 2012. The city has the largest publicly owned bus network in the UK, and is also served by a large railway station (in addition to several suburban stations), and an expanding tram system. East Midlands Airport is located just over 10 miles to the south-west of the city.
In Anglo-Saxon times the area was part of the Kingdom of Mercia, and was known in the Brythonic language as Tigguo Cobauc, meaning Place of Caves. In Welsh it is known poetically as Y Ty Ogofog and Irish Gaelic as Na Tithe Uaimh "The Cavey Dwelling". When it fell under the rule of a Saxon chieftain named Snot it became known as "Snotingaham"; the homestead of Snot's people (Inga = the people of; Ham = homestead). Snot brought together his people in an area now known as the Lace Market.
Nottingham Castle was constructed in the 11th century on a sandstone outcrop by the River Leen. The Anglo-Saxon settlement developed into the English Borough of Nottingham and housed a Town Hall and Law Courts. A settlement also developed around the castle on the hill opposite and was the French borough supporting the Normans in the castle. Eventually, the space between was built on as the town grew and the Old Market Square became the focus of Nottingham several centuries later. On the return of Richard the Lion Heart from the Crusades, the castle stood out in Prince John's favour. It was besieged by Richard and, after a sharp conflict, was captured.
By the 15th century Nottingham had established itself as a centre of a thriving export trade in religious sculpture made from Nottingham Alabaster. The town became a county corporate in 1449 giving it effective self-government, in the words of the charter, "for eternity". The Castle and Shire Hall were expressly excluded and remained as detached Parishes of Nottinghamshire.
In common with the UK textile industry, Nottingham's textile sector fell into decline in the decades following World War II. Very little textile manufacture now takes place in Nottingham, however, many of the former industrial buildings in the Lace Market district have been restored and put to new uses.
Nottingham was one of the boroughs reformed by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835, and at that time consisted of the parishes of St Mary, St Nicholas and St Peter. It was expanded in 1877 by adding the parishes of Basford, Brewhouse Yard, Bulwell, Radford, Sneinton, Standard Hill and parts of the parishes of West Bridgford, Carlton, Wilford (North Wilford). In 1889 Nottingham became a county borough under the Local Government Act 1888. City status was awarded as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of Queen Victoria, being signified in a letter from the Prime Minister the Marquess of Salisbury to the Mayor, dated 18 June 1897. Nottingham was extended in 1933 by adding Bilborough and Wollaton, parts of the parishes of Bestwood Park and Colwick, and a recently developed part of the Beeston Urban District. A further boundary extension was granted in 1951 when Clifton and Wilford (south of the River Trent) were incorporated into the city.
Demographic evolution of Nottingham
Electric trams were introduced to the city in 1901; they served the city for 35 years until the trolleybus network was expanded in 1936. The city's road network was improved between 1922 and 1932 when a new dual carriageway was built. Housing conditions also began to improve when the first council houses were built on new suburban estates. Trams were reintroduced after 68 years when a new network opened in 2004.
In the sporting world, Nottingham is home to the world's oldest professional football club, Notts County, which was formed in 1862. The town's other football club, Nottingham Forest, (under manager Brian Clough) had a period of success between 1977 and 1993; winning the First Division, four League Cups, a UEFA Super Cup and two European Cups. During this time Forest signed Trevor Francis, Britain's first £1million footballer, who joined the club in February 1979 from Birmingham City.
In 1980, Nottingham born ice dancers Torvill and Dean won Gold medals at the 1984 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo. Their performance is the only one to have obtained a perfect 6.0 score from all on the judging panel. The pair went on to gain numerous gold medals, including at the World Figure Skating Championships, European Figure Skating Championships and the British Figure Skating Championships. More recently the pair have appeared as coaches on the TV program Dancing on Ice.
The city was the site of race riots in 1958, centred on the St Ann's neighbourhood.
During the second half of the 20th century Nottingham saw urban growth with the development of new public and private housing estates and new urban centres, which have engulfed former rural villages such as Bilborough, Wollaton, Gedling and Bramcote. South of the river there has also been expansion with new areas such as Edwalton and West Bridgford, adding to Nottingham's urban sprawl. Although this growth slowed towards the end of the century, the modern pressures for more affordable and council housing is back on the political agenda and there is now pressure on the Green Belt which surrounds the city.