|Alt names||Lower Norwood||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Upper Norwood||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Located in||London, England (1889 - 1965)|
|Also located in||Surrey, England ( - 1889)|
|See also||Bromley (London Borough), Greater London, England||London borough covering part of the area since 1965|
|Croydon (London Borough), Greater London, England||London borough covering part of the area since 1965|
|Lambeth (London Borough), Greater London, England||London borough covering part of the area since 1965|
|Southwark (London Borough), Greater London, England||London borough covering part of the area since 1965|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: Norwood is now commonly called Upper Norwood in order to differentiate it from West Norwood and South Norwood which are close by but in different London boroughs, and Norwood in Middlesex (now redirected to Southall).
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Upper Norwood is an neighbourhood of south-east London whose area is spread within the London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth and Southwark. It is located north of Croydon.
Upper Norwood is situated along the London clay ridge known as Beulah Hill. Most housing dates from the 19th and 20th centuries, with large detached properties along the ridge and smaller, semi-detached and terraced dwellings on the slopes. There are some more modern areas of social housing that date from the 1970s. The hill offers panoramic views northward to central London and southward to central Croydon and the North Downs.
The area is one of the highest in the London area and for centuries was occupied by the Great North Wood, an extensive area of natural oak forest which formed a wilderness close to the southern edge of the ever-expanding city of London. The name 'Norwood' comes from a contraction of the 'North Wood'. Local legend has it that Sir Francis Drake's ship, The Golden Hind, had its timbers cut from trees in this area. The forest was a popular area for Londoners' recreation right up to the nineteenth century when it began to be built over. It was also a haunt of Gypsies with many local street names and pubs recording the link, notably Gipsy Hill. The area still retains large amounts of woodland for an urban situation.
The Crystal Palace was rebuilt nearby on Sydenham Hill in 1854, following its success at the great exhibition in Hyde Park. It was destroyed in a spectacular fire in 1936. The importance of this building led to the area immediately around the Crystal Palace becoming known as Crystal Palace. The most easterly district of Upper Norwood is now also known as Crystal Palace and is the commercial hub of Upper Norwood - the 'Triangle'. The most westerly district is also known as Crown Point. The central district was once known as Norwood New Town but this is only seen on older maps.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Norwood from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NORWOOD, a sub-metropolitan tract in Lambeth and Croydon parishes. Surrey; extending along the N Eborder of the county, from the outskirts of the metropolis in the vicinity of Brixton and Dulwich, 4½ miles south-south-eastward, to the vicinity of Croydon. It is divided into Lower Norwood in the N, Upper Norwood in the middle, and South Norwood in the S; it contains three villages of the same names as the three divisions; it includes, on the E border, the Crystal palace and park; itis traversed by the West end, Crystal palace, and Croydon railway, and has stations on it at Lower Norwood, Gipsy Hill, the Crystal palace, and South Norwood, the last of which bears the name of Norwood Junction; it has post-offices‡ of Norwood-Crownhill, Lower Norwood, Lower Norwood-High-street, South Norwood, Anerley-Road, and Westow Hill, all under London S; and it contains several large hotels, many well-built detached houses, numerous villas, and not a few mansions. It took its name from a wood, famous for oaks; it was, from an early period, a favourite haunt of gipsies, who infestedit on account of its woody retreats and of its vicinity to London; it continues still to be finely wooded, not in the forest manner, but ornately and picturesquely; it has atumulated and hilly surface, rising in some parts to a height of more than 300 feet; it abounds in charming close scenes, and includes stand-points commanding extensive and charming prospects; and it enjoys a healthy climate, and is altogether an attractive suburban region. A hotel, called the Norwood hotel, stands very pleasantlyon the crown of a hill, near the Crystal palace. The Norwood or South Metropolitan cemetery lies in Lower Norwood, occupies about 40 acres, and displays much taste and beauty. Two potteries, for the manufacture of red earthenware, are at Lower Norwood and South Norwood. Three chapelries, called Norwood, St. Luke, Norwood-All Saints, and Norwood, St. Mark, were formed respectively in 1824 in Lower Norwood, in 1845 in Upper Norwood, and in 1859 in South Norwood; and will be separately noticed. Two other chapelries are Gipsy Hill and Tulse Hill. A church for another chapelry, called Norwood, St. Paul, was built in 1866 in Anerley-road; was preceded, for the use of its congregation, by a temporary iron-church in Hamlet-road; is in the early French pointed style, of brick with various stone-dressings; consists of nave, aisles, transept, and apse, with vestry and tower; and cost £5, 200. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans; several national and British schools; a pauper school, in Upper Park-road, for Lambeth parish; the Westmoreland Society's school, at Tulse Hill; and a Roman Catholic convent on the ground formerly occupied by the Parkhotel."
Greater London Research Tips
- See wiki.familysearch.org under "London" and also under "Middlesex", "Surrey" and "Kent" for key information about Greater London's jurisdictions and records, plus links to indexes, reference aids and Family History Library holdings.
- The London Metropolitan Archives (40 Northampton Road, Clerkenwell, London EC1R 0HB) holds records relating to the whole of Greater London.
- GENUKI has a long list of websites and archive holders in addition to London Metropolitan Archives above. (This list is not maintained so well that there is never a dead link in it. However, it is often worth googling the title given on the page just in case the contributor has reorganized their website.)
- GENUKI also has a list of the Archives and Local Studies Libraries for each of the boroughs of Greater London.
- The London Encyclopaedia by Ben Weinreb and Christopher Hibbert. An e-book available online through Google, originally published by Pan Macmillan. There is a search box in the left-hand pane.
- London Lives. A very useful free website for anyone researching their London ancestors between the years 1690-1800. This is a fully searchable edition of 240,000 manuscripts from eight archives and fifteen datasets, giving access to 3.35 million names.
- London Ancestor, a website belonging to one of the London family history societies, has a list of transcriptions of directories from the 18th century, listing in one case "all the squares, streets, lanes, courts, yards, alleys, &C. in and about Five Miles of the Metropolis..." In other parts of the same website are maps of various parts of 19th century London and Middlesex.
- The proceedings of the Old Bailey, London's central criminal court, 1674-1913. A fully searchable edition of the largest body of texts detailing the lives of non-elite people ever published, containing 197,745 criminal trials held at London's central criminal court. This website is free to use.
- Registration Districts in London, Registration Districts in Middlesex, Registration Districts in Surrey, Registration Districts in Kent, are lists of the registration districts used for civil registration (births, marriages and deaths, as well as the censuses). There are linked supporting lists of the parishes which made up each registration district, the dates of formation and abolition of the districts, the General Register Office numbers, and the local archive-holding place. This work has been carried out by Brett Langston under the agency of GENUKI (Genealogy United Kingdom and Ireland) and UKBMD - Births, Marriages, Deaths & Censuses on the Internet.