Newton on Trent is a village and civil parish in the West Lindsey District of Lincolnshire, England. The village is situated east of the River Trent, and approximately 10 miles (16 km) south from Gainsborough, 10 miles (16 km) west from the county town of Lincoln, and at the junction of the A57 road running east to west, and the A1133 road running north to south.
At the western end of the parish, where it meets the River Trent, is the site of a Roman fort.
The Grade II* listed church is dedicated to St. Peter and dates from the 12th century with later alterations and an 1876 restoration. The 12th-century tower is of four stages, and there is an early 13th-century west doorway.
There are several Grade II listed buildings in the village: White House farm house which dates from the 15th century, Hall Farm House, of painted brick, which dates from 1656, the red brick Old Hall Farmhouse which dates from 1695, and The Reindeer, a 17th-century red-brick public house.
The Dunham Bridge crosses the River Trent into the village of Dunham in the county of Nottinghamshire. The original toll bridge was built in 1837, had four segmental cast iron arches on ashlar piers and cast iron railings. The bridge superstructure was rebuilt in steel in 1975-76, retaining the original piers; a new toll booth facility was constructed in 1994.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.