Newland is a village in the Forest of Dean District in Gloucestershire, England situated on the east side of the River Wye, 3 miles south-east of Monmouth. It is notable for its parish church of All Saints, known as the 'Cathedral of the Forest'. It was the centre of a large parish with complex boundaries and scattered settlements.
In the 15th and 16th centuries an unofficial market was held at Newland village, the traders taking advantage of the large numbers congregating at the parish church on Sundays and feast days. It probably lapsed during the 17th century when Coleford became a market town. William Jones of Monmouth endowed almshouses in this his home village of Newland. With the growth of Coleford, Newland remained small and mainly residential with two sets of almshouses, a grammar school and, in the mid-18th century, a successful private school.
Newland parish was created in the early Middle Ages by assarting woodland and waste from the Forest of Dean, and its formation was well under way by the start of the 13th century, when the parish church was built. The main block of the parish was formed by the tithings of Newland, Clearwell, and Coleford, but by the 14th century other scattered parcels of land in the Forest were being indiscriminately added to the parish as they became assarted from the Forest waste, which meant that the parish gained a total of 22 detached parts. The largest detached portion of the parish included Bream village. Coleford tithing became a separate civil parish in 1894, but the nearby hamlet of Milkwall remained in Newland. The detached parts were added to other parishes between 1883 and 1935. There is a full list in early in the Newland chapter of the Victoria County History of Gloucestershire.
Online sources which may also be helpful: