|Alt names||Moreton-cum-Lingham||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Town or village|
|Located in||Cheshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Merseyside, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Wirral Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part|
|Wallasey, Cheshire, England||municipal borough into which it was absorbed in 1912|
|Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England||metropolitan borough covering most of the Wirral Peninsula since 1974|
|Bidston, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a part|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Moreton (formerly Moreton-cum-Lingham) was a township of the Wirral Peninsula of Cheshire, England. It was located in Bidston ancient parish, in the Wirral hundred. It became a civil parish in 1866. It included the hamlets of Leasowe and Lingham.
In 1921 it made some transfers of land with the neighbouring parishes of Hoylake-cum-West Kirby and Saughall Massie (more information in GENUKI). Moreton civil parish was abolished in 1928 to become part of Wallasey. The population was 210 in 1801, 350 in 1851, 597 in 1901, and 4029 in 1921. In the 2001 Census, it had a population of 17,670For the period after 1928, see Wallasey.
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 the entire Wirral Peninsula, with the exception of the municipal borough of Ellesmere Port and urban district of Neston at the southern end, became the Metropolitan Borough of the Wirral in the new administrative county of Merseyside.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Moreton, Merseyside.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Wirral (hundred), Cheshire, England | Wirral Registration District, Cheshire, England | Wallasey, Cheshire, England | Wirral (metropolitan borough), Merseyside, England | Merseyside, England | Bidston, Cheshire, England | Moreton, Cheshire, England