Place:Monks Horton, Kent, England

Watchers
NameMonks Horton
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.1203°N 1.0208°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoElham Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Shepway (district), Kent, Englanddistrict municipality which has covered the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Monks Horton is a small civil parish in the Shepway District of Kent, England. It is located 3 miles (5 km) north of Hythe. Within the civil parish are the hamlets of Horton (Monks Horton) and Broad Street (Monks Horton). The parish is governed by a parish meeting, rather than a parish council, because of its small size. The name comes from the fact that a medieval priory was built here. The population of the parish in 2001 was 95.

Monks Horton was a civil parish in Elham Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 has been part of the Shepway non-metropolitan district.

Hamlets named Horton and Broad Street are to be found elsewhere in Kent.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Monks Horton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.