Place:Monkhouse, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameMonkhouse
TypeExtra parochial area, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoBamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Monkhouse from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MONKHOUSE, an extra-parochial tract in Belford [registration] district, Northumberland. Population: 6. House: 1."

Belford Registration District covered a very wide area. GENUKI's list of registration districts states that it was a detached portion of County Durham transferred to Northumberland in 1844.

Not found on any map or gazetteer.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.