Place:Molesden, Northumberland, England

Alt namesMolesdonsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.155°N 1.769°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoMitford, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Molesden from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MOLESDEN, a township in Mitford parish, Northumberland; 3½ miles WSW of Morpeth. Population: 47. Houses: 8."

Molesden was a township in the ancient parish of Mitford. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Molesden became part of the Castle Morpeth District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.