Mitchell (sometimes known as Michael or St Michael's) is a village in mid Cornwall, England. It is situated 14 miles (22 km) northeast of Redruth and 17 miles (27 km) west-southwest of Bodmin on the A30 trunk road.
The original name was La Medeshole and the first recorded mention of the village was in a court case in 1234 establishing the legal status of an annual market on St Francis's Day. A chapel of St Francis for the use of wayfarers existed from 1239 until its destruction at the Reformation.
From the Middle Ages on, the borough of Mitchell elected two members to the Unreformed House of Commons but was disenfranchised by the Reform Act 1832. Walter Raleigh and Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington were both MPs representing Mitchell.
At Carland Cross, a mile west of Mitchell, there are Iron Age burial mounds and flint arrow heads have been found in local fields.
Mitchel was located partly in the parish of St. Enoder and partly in the parish of Newlyn East, which were both in St. Columb Major Rural District from 1894 until 1934. In 1934 East Newlyn was transferred to Truro Rural District and St. Enoder was transferred to St. Austell Rural District, leaving Mitchell straddling the border between the two rural districts.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.