Farther Pomerania, Further Pomerania, Transpomerania or Eastern Pomerania, which before the German-Polish border shift of 1945 comprised the eastern part of the Duchy, later Province of Pomerania, roughly stretching from the Oder River in the West to Pomerelia in the East.
Today, the bulk of former Farther Pomerania is within the West Pomeranian Voivodeship, while its easternmost parts are within the Pomeranian Voivodeship. The post-1945 Polish successor of Farther Pomerania is termed Pomorze Zachodnie ("Western Pomerania"), in modern Polish usage a synonym to the West Pomeranian Voivodship, while in Polish historical usage this term applied to all areas west of Pomerelia (including Vorpommern, which in English usage is also referred to as Western Pomerania).
Farther Pomerania emerged as a subdivision of the Duchy of Pomerania in the partition of 1532, then known as Pomerania-Stettin and already including the historical regions Principality of Cammin, County of Naugard, Lands of Schlawe and Stolp, and the Lauenburg and Bütow Land. After the Brandenburg-Swedish partition of Pomerania, Farther Pomerania became the Brandenburg-Prussian Province of Pomerania (1653-1815). After the reorganization of the Prussian Province of Pomerania in 1815, Farther Pomerania was administered as Regierungsbezirk Köslin. In 1938, Grenzmark Posen-West Prussia was merged in. In 1945, Farther Pomerania was placed first under Soviet, subsequently under Polish administration, resettled primarily with Poles after the former German population fled or was expelled. Before 1999, the Szczecin Voivodeship (1945–1998) and its spin-offs Koszalin Voivodeship (1950–1998) and Słupsk Voivodeship (1975–1998) roughly resembled the area of former Farther Pomerania. The Szczecin and Koszalin Voivodeships were merged in 1999 and now constitute the West Pomeranian Voivodeship, while Słupsk Voivodeship was merged into the Pomeranian Voivodeship.
History of western part
History of eastern part