Maxwell is a village in Colfax County, New Mexico, United States. The population was 254 at the 2010 census, down from 274 at the 2000 census. Maxwell was established in 1879 as a railroad town on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. It was named in honor of Lucien Maxwell, who provided the land for the original townsite from his Maxwell Land Grant.
Around the turn of the twentieth century this town had a short-lived colony of Netherlands-Americans and a Christian Reformed Church. Idzerd Van Dellen, the pastor of that church, established there what became the Bethesda Tuberculosis Sanitarium.