Marche (in occitan la Marcha) corresponds to a part of the current Limousin. This territory was once a distinct administrative entity.
As a sort of buffer between the possessions of the counts of Poitou, dukes of Aquitaine and kings of France, the Comté de la Marche probably took shape between 955 and 958. Placed under the authority of Boson 1st, son of Sulpice, Lord of Charroux (the antique Carrofum), it combined two territories until the distinct, one around Dorat, the other around Guéret, thus forming an 80 km long narrow strip.
The Comté de la Marche was surrounded by:
The list of the Counts of La Marche up to the 16th century is often difficult to ascertain because of a lack of definitive documents. The Comté de la Marche was incorporated into the French Kingdom around 1531. La Marche eventually turned into the department of Creuse and part of the department of Haute-Vienne.