Place:Mannsville, Jefferson, New York, United States

Watchers


NameMannsville
TypeTown
Coordinates43.711°N 76.064°W
Located inJefferson, New York, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Mannsville is a village located in the Town of Ellisburg in Jefferson County, New York. The population was 354 at the 2010 census. The name is from Barzillian Mann, early developer.

The Village of Mannsville is in the southeast part of the town and is south of Watertown.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The village was first settled around 1801.

Mannsville incorporated as a village within the town in 1879.

In 1885, a fire burnt several structures in the small village, but they were soon rebuilt.

In the 1830s missionaries served this area. The Mannsville Methodist - Episcopal Church was organized in 1847 with Rev. Fuller serving as the first pastor. The building was erected in 1859. The parsonage, located 3 houses east, was built in 1880. In 1957 a large addition was added and the sanctuary was remodeled in 1967. A new steeple was erected in 2002 with funds provided by Ethel S. Joyner, and work done by Graves Construction.

The first school building at this site was a little red schoolhouse built in 1826, at the intersection of Balch Place and current Rte 11. A second larger two story building was built on Lorraine Street, which burned in 1878. The third school, built on the foundation of the Lorraine street building, burned in January 1883. The new building was dedicated September 1883. There were 106 students in three departments. The schoolhouse again burned in 1907. A new two story building was completed in 1908, and is currently known as the Mannsville Manor Elementary School. The cement blocks were made to resemble stone. O.D. Greene Jr. of Adams was the builder. Classes ran from first to eighth grades. The district centralized in 1930 with other districts in the towns of Ellisburg and Lorraine.

In the early 1930s, "six" village men held a meeting in the old Club House on Mill Street in the village of Mannsville. With a dollar each and a dream, "Mannsville Volunteer Fire Department" was established. In 1949 they became incorporated, merged with Pierrepont Manor to become the now known " Mannsville Manor Fire Department", or tongue in cheek - as the "Cellar Savers".

In May 1960 seven active members of the Mannsville Manor Fire Department borrowed $200 from the Fire Department to start the first ambulance service in southern Jefferson County which at that time served six townships. This was the beginning of Rescue 48. In May 1976, Rescue 48 was reorganized with 25 active members supplying 24 hour ambulance service. The Mannsville Manor Rescue Squad observed their 30th anniversary in 1990. On January 4, 1991, the Rescue Squad became one of the first volunteer paramedic ambulance services in Jefferson County.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Mannsville, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.