The Town of Lorraine is on the south border of the county and is south of Watertown.
Settlement began around 1802. The original designation for this area was "Atticus".
The town was formed in 1804 from part of the Town of Mexico (in Oswego County). At that time the town was called "Malta", but the name was changed to the current name in 1808 in order to avoid confusion with a town by that name in Saratoga County.
Part of Lorraine was used to form the Town of Worth in 1848.