|Alt names||Langafel||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 148|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Axstane Dartford and Wilmington Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Dartford Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Sevenoaks District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
|Dartford District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was returned in 1987|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Longfield is a village and civil parish in the Dartford Borough of Kent, England. It borders the Sevenoaks District. It is located south west of Gravesend.
It contains several shops, a pub, a 14th-century church and is recorded in the Domesday Book and Anglo-Saxon charters of 964-995.
Longfield fell within the Hundred of Axstane Dartford and Wilmington and its successor the Dartford Rural District. In 1974 the village became part of the Sevenoaks District of Kent in 1974. It was transferred to the Borough of Dartford in 1987.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Longfield, Kent, England | Axstane Dartford and Wilmington Hundred, Kent, England | Dartford Rural, Kent, England | Sevenoaks District, Kent, England | Dartford District, Kent, England