Long Crendon is a village and civil parish within the Aylesbury Vale district in Buckinghamshire, England, about 3 miles (5 km) west of Haddenham and 2 miles (3 km) north-west of Thame in neighbouring Oxfordshire. The village has been called Long Crendon only since the English Civil War. The "Long" prefix refers simply to the length of the village at that time, and was added to differentiate it from nearby Grendon Underwood. Previously it was simply known as Crendon. This name is Old English and means Creoda's Hill (in 1086 it was listed in the Domesday Book as Crededone).
"Crendon" was the caput of the feudal honour held by Walter Giffard (died 1102), created Earl of Buckingham by William the Conqueror. The Manor in Long Crendon was once a great building that housed the later Earls of Buckingham and over the years the various manorial estates in the village have passed through the hands of the Crown, Oxford University, the Earls of March and the Marquis of Buckingham. The latter is now the Lord of the Manor of Long Crendon.
In 1162 an order of Augustinian monks was founded in the village at nearby Notley Abbey. The park in which the abbey stood was donated to the abbey itself by the incumbent of the manor, the Earl of Buckingham. At the time of the Dissolution of the Monasteries the annual income was calculated as over £437; an immense amount of money for the time. The abbey still stands, but as a secular manor house. In the 20th century it was the marital home of actors Sir Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh.
The Church of England parish church of St Mary dates from the 12th century. The building underwent major renovation and refurbishment that was due to be completed early in 2008. The village has also a Baptist church and a Roman Catholic church.
There was a Long Crendon Rural District from 1894 to 1934.
Long Crendon's history of needle-making went on until the 19th century. It was a home-based industry with an agent coming around weekly to collect and pay for the latest production.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References