Littlebury is a small village and civil parish in north-west Essex. It has a population of around 600 which includes the three hamlets of Chapel Green, Littlebury Green and Catmere End. It also includes parts of the estate of Audley End.
It lies around a mile and a half from the market town of Saffron Walden and fifteen miles south of Cambridge, the nearest city. The village is located on the medieval London to Newmarket road (now the B1383 and A11) as well as the River Cam. A Roman road crossed the parish at Littlebury Green, which is referred to as Streetly Green in some historic records.
The parish was owned by Ely Abbey from the ninth century, and was retained by the Crown following Dissolution. In 1601 it was sold to Thomas Sutton and in 1603 fell to the Thomas Howard, 1st Earl of Suffolk. It passed between the Earls of Suffolk, owners of Audley End house, until in 1762 it was bequeathed to Lord Braybrooke.
Other residents include Thomas Sutton (1532-1611), Master of the Ordnance in the North, and Joan Bradbury, widow of Thomas Bradbury who founded a school in the 17th century.