|Alt names||Littlebourn||source: alternate spelling|
|Gecham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 148|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Downhamford Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Bridge Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|Bridge Blean Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|Canterbury District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Littlebourne is a village and civil parish 4 miles east of Canterbury in Kent, England. In the 2011 UK census it had a population of 1,259.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Littlebourne from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LITTLEBOURN, a village and a parish in Bridge [registration] district, Kent. The village stands on a branch of the river Stour, adjacent to Lee Priory, 1½ mile NNE of Beakesbourn [railway] station, and 4 E of Canterbury; consists of a main street and a cross one; and has a post office under Sandwich, and a fair on 5 July.
- "The parish comprises 2,102 acres. Real property: £5,022. Population: 757. Houses: 165. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the abbey of St. Augustine, and to an Italian monastery. Ellbridge House is the seat of D. Denne, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £240. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is early English; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and contains monuments of the Dennes. There is a parochial school.
Littlebourne was originally an ancient parish in the Downhamford Hundred. Between 1894 and 1934 it was part of the Bridge Rural District. In 1934 the Bridge Rural District was abolished and its parishes became part of the larger Blean Bridge Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Canterbury District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Littlebourne, Kent, England | Downhamford Hundred, Kent, England | Bridge Rural, Kent, England | Bridge Blean Rural, Kent, England | Canterbury District, Kent, England