Place:Linton, Kent, England

Watchers
NameLinton
TypeVillage
Coordinates51.217°N 0.517°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoMaidstone Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Maidstone Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Maidstone District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality which has covered the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Linton is a village and civil parish in the Borough or District of Maidstone in Kent, England. The parish is located on the southward slope of the Greensand ridge, south of Maidstone on the A229 road to Hastings.

The name Linton comes from Old English, probably meaning Lilla's village. The steepness of the hill through it is explained because of its position on the slope of the ridge. The village has a population of about 500. According to the reference quoted below "The 13th century church of St Nicholas contains an interesting and varied collection of monuments, including some by EH Baily, who sculpted the figure of Nelson in Trafalgar Square".

Linton Park is a Grade I listed mansion to the east of the village. Built in 1730 by Robert Mann, it was later home to Sir Horatio Mann, the fourth and fifth Earls Cornwallis and Fiennes Cornwallis, 1st Baron Cornwallis. It served as headquarters to the army encampment at neighbouring Coxheath during the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

Linton was originally an ancient parish in the Maidstone Hundred of Kent. It was a civil parish in the Maidstone Rural District from 1894 until 1974.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
  • The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Linton, Kent. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.