- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
The name Lingwood originates from "Lingwoode", the first name given to the area, meaning "slope of a wood". The village was first noted in 1190.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lingwood from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LINGWOOD, a parish, with a village, in Blofield [registration] district, Norfolk; 3 miles N of Buckenham [railway] station, and 8 E of Norwich. Post town: Blofield, under Norwich. Acres: 661. Real property: £1,999. Population: 509. Houses: 79. The property is subdivided. Most of the land belongs to H. N. Burroughes, Esq., and the Rev. J. Burroughes; and the manor belongs to the former, and Lingwood Lodge to the latter. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £55. Patron: H. N. Burroughes, Esq. The church is later English, in good condition; and has a tower. There are a national school and a land-allotment for the poor, yielding £20 a year. Blofield Workhouse also is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 146 inmates."
In 1935 Lingwood, together with the three neighbouring "Burlingham church" parishes, was abolished and the land absorbed into the new civil parish of Lingwood and Burlingham.
- GENUKI provides a list of references for LIngwood. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.