- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Lindsell is a village and civil parish in the district of Uttlesford in the county of Essex, England. The church is dedicated to St Mary The Virgin. Other nearby settlements include Holder's Green and Bustard Green. The parish was part of the Dunmow Rural District from 1894 until 1974. According to the 2011 Census, Lindsell had a population of 260 people.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lindsell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LINDSELL, a village and a parish in Dunmow [registration] district, Essex. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Chelmer, 3½ miles SE of Thaxted, and 5 NNE of Dunmow [railway] station.
- "The parish contains also the hamlets of Holders-Green and Bustard-Green; and its Post town is Stebbing, under Chelmsford. Acres: 1,959. Real property: £2,710. Population: 385. Houses: 84. The property is much subdivided. The manor of Lindsell Hall belonged, before the Conquest, to Ulmar; was given, by the Conqueror, to Eudo Dapifer; and passed to the Pirots, the Tibetots, the Wentworths, the Norths, and others. Lindsell Hall is the residence of Stephen Alger, Esq. Priors Hall belonged once to the priory of St. Valery, in Picardy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £204. Patron: S. Alger, Esq. The church belonged anciently to Walden abbey; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower."
Help fund new features!