The Holy Island of Lindisfarne is a tidal island off the northeast coast of England. It is also known just as Holy Island. It constitutes the civil parish of Holy Island in Northumberland. Holy Island has a recorded history from the 6th century. It was an important centre of Celtic Christianity under Saints Aidan of Lindisfarne, Cuthbert, Eadfrith of Lindisfarne and Eadberht of Lindisfarne. After Viking invasions and the Norman conquest of England in 1066 a priory was re-established. A small castle was built on the island in 1550.
The island of Lindisfarne is located along the northeast coast of England, close to the border with Scotland. The island measures 3 miles (4.8 km) from east to west and 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from north to south, and comprises approximately 1,000 acres (400 ha) (4 km2) at high tide. The nearest point of the island is about 1 mile (1.6 km) from the mainland of England. As of the UK census of 2011 the island had a population of 180.
Holy Island was considered part of the Islandshire unit along with several mainland parishes. This came under the jurisdiction of the County Palatine of Durham until the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844 when it was transferred to Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Norham and Islandshires Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Holy Island became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Lindisfarne.